best exhaust

Forum Forum Exhausts best exhaust

Tagged: 

This topic contains 27 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Shep 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
April 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM #1560

escott_459
Participant

Could somebody please tell me what the best exhaust will a good deep sound when at idle and a good roar when moving would be for my 07 stratoliner?

April 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM #1561

Shep
Keymaster

Welcome escott_459!

A few questions are in order: Will you be using the stock pipes and just adding a slip on muffler? Will you be changing pipes completely? Will you be staying with the 2 into 1 like stock? Will you be going 2 into 2?

Mine had Speedstars 2 into 2 when I bought it. I went back to a stock setup for the pipes and a Roadhouse muffler. I love it! People are finding that the stock pipes (with a slip on) to be one of the best set-ups out there.

Pipes and sound are those things which are very subjective so you will get lots of opinions because everyone like their own set-up. No matter what you do – you will not get the Harley “potato-potato” rumble – but you can get close. :)

BTW – I forgot to mention that with the stock pipes you retain the EXUP valve and get back that low end torque. These things are screamin’ machines!

April 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM #1562

kcsexton
Participant

Roadhouse or a D&D slipon make a good sound at idle and going down the road.The bad thing is you would have to find a used RH because they are shut down. I have a RH and love it.

April 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM #1563

Tallernat
Participant

i just had a RH put on my bike. some dealers still have them, check around if you want.

i went on You Tube and typed the names of mufflers with Roadliner and/or Stratoliner attached so i could hear our specific bike with these on them. this helped me. i wanted a D&D and had heard a RH on a V-Star but didn’t like the RH on that bike. the sound was too harsh. listening on You Tube gave me the perspective i needed. i am glad i got the RH.

April 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM #1564

escott_459
Participant

Ok awesome thanks for the info guys, but I’m not sure if I want a slip on or full exhaust. Could somebody tell me the hard krome 3″ longshot pipes are good or not?

April 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM #1565

Frogfarmer
Participant

HK3 longshots are loud! I run the HK pipes on my Liner and love the sound they can be tame around town with almost no throttle but twist your wrist and look out. If you cruise very lightly around 2000 rpm they are quiet but running 70+mph at or near 3000 rpm they are fairly loud. Its all about preferrence. I have 2 Liners and the other is stock so it gets the long rides on the highway. I know that may not help but I do love the sound they have very low and loud. My HK3s are black so I cant comment on the chrome. Also my pipes are Roadliner length not the Stratoliner length as I didnt want to drag in the corners.

April 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM #1566

Shep
Keymaster

Thanks Frogfarmer. My son had the HK3′s on his C-50 – but that is a different animal. His are a little “thin” although extremely loud. I was curious how they would sound on a liner.

May 24, 2011 at 5:59 AM #1567

rckding
Participant

Anyone pulled the baffle on the Roadhouse?
How hard are they to get out?
I removed the bolts but no luck, do you twist it out?
Will it go back in easily?
I know, questions….questions.

May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM #1568

Shep
Keymaster

I have had the baffle out a few times. I pulled it so that I could remove the packing. It was fairly new so it came out pretty easily. I woud think the longer it is in there the harder it would be to get freed up, but it should come out afer screws are removed.

May 25, 2011 at 8:50 PM #1569

kcsexton
Participant

I pulled mine out when I 1st got it and it came right out.It was way loud so I put it back in.

May 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM #1570

bowhunter4265
Participant

Shep how much louder, do you think it is without the packing. Do you think twisting it after the screws are out that it will come out or just keep pulling on the baffle.
Thanks

May 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM #1571

Shep
Keymaster

“How much louder” is tricky to answer. All I can say is that I liked it enough that I left it out ;)

January 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM #1572

Fishin Bill
Participant

I just recently got my 06 roadliner that already had the D and D pipe on it. Took the baffle out and …HOLY CRAP it loud!!! Hahahaha. I was suprised that I didn’t get alot of backfire or popping. Actually less than WITH the baffles even on heavy development and down shifting. Thumbing about either cutting the baffle assembly down ir removing the packing to keep some backpressure and tone it down just a little. Any thoughts?????

January 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM #1573

Shep
Keymaster

Bill I left my packing out. I love the way it sounds. No baffle at all was loud, but to me it seemed to lose a little of its “depth.

January 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM #1574

BOB Z
Participant

2008 STRAT S I USED V&H 2 INTO 1 FULL SYSTEM.GREAT IDLE AND NICE DEEP THROATY SOUND AT ACCELERATION.AT CRUISING 70 MPH SOUND GETS SOFTER.CAN ALWAYS HEAR MY RADIO AT 1/3 VOLUME. GOOD LUCK BOB Z

January 24, 2012 at 6:40 AM #1575

Fishin Bill
Participant

I agree Shep, but are you running a programmer????

January 24, 2012 at 6:42 AM #1576

Fishin Bill
Participant

Just reread that Shep. So you took the packing off and just put the baffle itself back in?? interesting. Thought about that actually but didnt want to ruin the assembly and it not work LOL. Now I may just have to try that! THANKS!!

January 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM #1577

Shep
Keymaster

Yeah bill – that is exactly what I did. And BTW – the Yammi onboard controller can handle it just fine.

January 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM #1578

Fishin Bill
Participant

Cool!! Great info man thanks a bunch!!! Hopefully i can return the favor some day!!
I am thinking of trying the kuryakyn controller.

January 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM #1579

sink
Participant

I am running the same exhaust setup as Shep and it sounds great to me. I get a lot of compliments from other liner riders on it.

January 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM #1580

Fishin Bill
Participant

just cut the packing off and gonna put the baffle back in after supper!! hahahahaha

Thanks again for ALL the info!!!

January 26, 2012 at 5:15 AM #1581

Fishin Bill
Participant

got the baffle back in and got to start it for just a minute in the garage…..jury is still out until i can get it heated up. sounds like it may have lost some of that deep tone though……stay tuned for more…..

March 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM #1582

Dono59
Participant

Hey Bill,

What was the end result removing packing from Baffle. I just installed my D&D this past weekend ,looking for a little more rumble. How did you remove the baffle? Heard they just don’t slide out.

May 4, 2012 at 4:14 AM #2049

Fishin Bill
Participant

sorry Dono, just got back on here. it did get back some of the low end but out of the blue, my EXPU or EXUP valve fell out of adjustment and it was falling on its face. Had the dealer adjust it but still isnt where it was power wise and now it is sounding very “tinny”. :( think I am going to order a full system and get rid of the exhaust valve all together.

May 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM #2050

Stratedgy
Participant

I just added True Dual Exhaust from “Freedom Performance Exhaust.” I love them. The sound has a nice rumble at idle and you really hear it when you twist the throttle. Sound is really a personal thing, just like your choice of motorcycle. For instance, I never cared what the bike sounds like and I was going to live with the stock pipes…forever. But when I saw the dual exhaust running on both sides of the rear wheel, I had to have them. The added sound was just a bonus. People hear me coming now and move aside when I’m lane splitting…another bonus. Check out the pipes on YouTube. You can see and hear them. Copy and paste the link below into your search field. I hope this helps.

escott_459: Could somebody please tell me what the best exhaust will a good deep sound when at idle and a good roar when moving would be for my 07 stratoliner?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.